When I had first partially disassembled the IKEA table, I saw that the plastic veneer had been applied to both sides of the tabletop. I thought that this was unnecessary, but I was appreciative because I gave me an idea: flip the table top over and use the underside at the topside.
I began fully breaking down the table.
Now, I’ve taken apart IKEA furniture before. It hasn’t been pleasant, but it also hasn’t been difficult.
This was difficult.
Sometimes the things that catch the bolts aren’t aligned correctly. I turned them. I jiggled. I jiggled the panels. Nothing was working.
Then it dawned on me that it might have been glued together.
Who glues IKEA stuff together? The whole point is that you just use the allen wrench the thing comes with.
When I saw some give, I decided to use arm strength. I’m no bodybuilder, but I have some arm strength at my disposal.
I found that the table had indeed been glued together. Ridiculous.
The table–like much IKEA furniture–is normally held together by the dowels/pegs and by the bolts. The bolts are what keep the parts from being disconnected, but the dowels/pegs keep the thing intact. Of course, unless they’re glued in place. When they are, they keep the thing together, too.
The holes for the dowels/pegs and the bolts are drilled only on one side. If my idea were to work, I’d have to drill through the other side.
I have a drill and drill bits, so that was no tall order.
Rather than drill from the other side, I just drilled the holes all the way through. That way there would be no misalignment.
Once drilled through, I installed the bolts.
It was looking like my plan could work.
I reassembled the table with the old top hidden directly above the drawers.
But there were now holes in the top of the table!
Now it was my turn to use glue on a piece of IKEA furniture.
I was prepared with glue gun and plastic screw cap covers that I had around.
I’d fill the holes with glue gun and then cap them off before the glue cooled down.
I’m happy with the result.