The goo was not the only significant problem with this project. I uncovered that a leg had been broken and repaired. The kind of repair that made more rather than less work for me.
I had dealt with a bad glue job when I did my first end table project. The pieces were poorly aligned, so I had to sand things back into shape.
But this is a leg. And the glue had no interest in giving up.
I looked up how to break wood glue, and the recommendation was vinegar.
So I tried it.
With the vinegar and some elbow grease, I was able to separate the leg from the rest of the chair. But as you see from the picture, I found that there were pegs that held the leg to the chair. The pegs were complemented by screws.
The new situation then was gross pegs and bad gluing surfaces and even a broken peg.
I saw (was forced to see?) a learning opportunity! What do I even do with pegs?
I researched how important they are. It turns out that they are very important. I looked to see how to get new ones and how to replace them.
If found that it certainly helps to have a drill press. However, I do not have a drill press.
I found which size pegs I needed and bought a bag of 100 on amazon.
Equipped with these dowels, and only slightly increased sanding access, I decided to try to remove the other leg. The thick paint made getting to the glue with the vinegar almost impossible, so I went with an approach that took me by surprise: saws!
I cut right through the dowels on the other leg. The screw holes are still there, but a source of guaranteed failure of the project had become proper installation of the new dowels.
More on this next week!