There’s no perfect replacement for having a proper workbench. A thick tabletop that can take all kinds of abuse, a vise permanently attached to one end, space that can accommodate that setup. It’s a dream environment. Unfortunately for me, that’s as accurate a description as any.
I have to use what I’ve got in the space I’ve got.
Now, the last post ended with me sawing off some legs and needing to replace the dowels that held the chair together.
For the dowels that had separated cleanly, it was more a matter of taking off the old glue to expose gluable surfaces.
However, the dowels I had cut right through required a different approach: drilling out the old ones and replacing them in the exact same locations so the chair would line up again.
The key to this process was to go slow and to stay on target. A misaligned pair of holes is absolute death for the chair. The old dowels were a good guide. The screw holes were a hazard I had to avoid.
While I could hold a leg down and go slowly, I couldn’t do the same with the end of the front panel.
This is where a workbench would have served me well. But I don’t have a workbench. After some thought, I realized that I could use a clamp I have. It’s heavy enough, I figured.
It was a painstaking process, but it worked.
I wanted to make sure that the chair fit back together before continuing to strip the chair of the orange paint and white primer. It was exciting to see everything align in a dry fit.
More next week!