I left off last week with Table 2’s boards planed and ready to go. I haven’t been focusing as much on the first table because the 1/4-sheet palm sander took off way less material per pass. The crazy-good sandpaper that never clogged might be part of the random orbital sander’s effectiveness, so that’s something I’ve learned to watch out for.
That would be important for the remaining pieces of the table.
These tables are far more complicated than that first step-up end table project I’d done. Rather than just two side pieces, these had a back piece and a drawer. They also came with a knoblike design element that I didn’t care much for and was debating whether or not to amputate.
Table 1: 1/4-sheet palm sander
The outside part of the right side of the table:
The inside part of the right side of the table:
The outside part of the left side of the table:
The inside part of the left side of the table:
The back portion:
I noticed that with the back part, an edge veered away from being straight. The alignment didn’t allow for the board to be cut down to be straightened out, and since it would not be in an exposed area, I decided not to do anything about it. I figured that was the manufacturer’s thought process, too.
The grain that was exposed on all the boards made me eager to get to the finishing stage. It had been hidden for so long under the dark stain but was sure to glow.
For this table, I decided I’d keep the knob design elements. So I sanded and sanded with folded sandpaper.
I don’t know how this happened with so many elements of Table 2, but the preparation of that one would not be nearly as simple. More on that next week.