While I was and still am proud of my first cutting board project, the idea was to build on the first project to create more complex cutting board designs.
So back I went to House of Hardwood and came across many scraps of cherry. Now, I had seen cherry used as an accent within a larger cutting board. Nobody seems to want to make an overwhelmingly pink board.
Due to the limited cutting depth of the table saw, they helped me at House of Hardwood with planing the thickness of the cherry down to about 0.7″.
That meant all I had to do was set the rip fence to 1.5″ and I would be ready to go.
I set up my table saw and my outfeed table that I’d made out of an Amazon box, connected the vacuum, set the fence, connected to power, and then I was actually ready.
I was pretty excited about the varying colors of the cherry and that I’d have pretty consistently cut pieces to glue together.
I crosscut them to about even length. Without a crosscut sled (and without the ability to make one without giving up precious blade cutting depth, close was as good as I was going to get.
In order to arrange the pieces properly for gluing, I wet them down to get a better feel of the colors.
That sure made sorting easier!
And I had my layout ready for the glue-up.
More next week!