As I put the newly completed end tables into service, I needed to find a new place for the first one I’d worked on. But over time, the table had tanned, and I saw the outline of a book that had been resting on it. Also I hadn’t reapplied teak oil like I should have, and there were some things I hadn’t addressed in my first go because I didn’t have a plane back then.
It was going to be a quick and easy project.
And it started off going as I’d planned.
I was going to plane it to get rid of all the unevenness from the gluing I’d done way back when that I’d mistakenly thought I could sand off.
One key section of this unevenness was in the front with what should have been a consistent rounded-off edge. Keep in mind I do not have a router.
When I started the planing, the pronounced unevenness made me happy because it was something I knew I had to resolve.
I kept going and was thrilled at the quick progress.
As I continued across, the uneven spots were becoming more pronounced and then eliminated.
I was thrilled at how well the project was going.
Sure, there were some gaps to address, but those wouldn’t be anything that some homemade filler couldn’t repair, right? RIGHT?!
Well, it was too wiggly for me to be comfortable with keeping it that way. The amount of play allowed me to snap the board apart the weak glue joint.
As I didn’t have a planer the last time I’d attempted gluing this up, I was limited by sanding off the old glue. But that made for a less-than-perfect gluing situation.
This time would be different!
I was happy to use my new coffee table workbench setup to mount my vise for the planing.
Once the faces matched one another, I glued up the boards.
Clamping a board in place would keep the project flat and reduce my new planing time. The wax paper protected the wood block from the glue.
Areas that needed wood filler got it, but this was all for superficial repair. The structural work had been done.
I planed it to remove any jagged anything and then sanded from 80+ to 180+ with the DeWalt random orbital sander.
And then it was finally on to the step that had initially seemed like it would happen so early on: application of teak oil.
I’ll wrap this one up next week and then start on something new.