I left off last week having sanded the side pieces for the first table. All was well there. Now I get to share how the same pieces for Table 2 posed more challenges.
The challenges: Warped wood with a crack.
I had expected the solution to be easy! I have wood glue. I have clamps. I have time.
I’d need the wood glue really to get all in that crack so there would be good adhesion when clamped. I didn’t want to remove material to make a fresh surface because I didn’t expect the surface not to be ready for wood glue.
And with my bar clamps, it was sure to dry properly.
Letting it dry for days would make the rest of the job go without any issue. Right? RIGHT????
But with the warping, it returned to its split state. And now there was glue that was messing with the surface! Yayyyyyyy!
So I used an Xacto knife to cut off all the glue that I could to prepare the surface for another attempt. This time I decided to dilute the glue some because maybe the plastic knife didn’t really get all the glue where I wanted it. The depth of this crack was no joke.
Well, the slightly diluted glue definitely made its way in, and I went through the clamping and waiting process again.
Based on where we are in this post, you know already that it didn’t work. But it only was a few days of waiting with anticipation only for it not to work, so it wasn’t like I lost too, too much time.
I learned that gluing was not the answer.
I made the decision to sand down the pieces and go from there.
Just like I’d done with the top of the table, I made my own wood filler out of dust from sanding and wood glue.
Back on track!
The knob design element issue makes a return next week.